Social Icons

One step forward

...two steps back. Not really. But I did finish my second family room. The reason I say two steps back is because I have ripped apart three things/areas since I've finished. You'd think I'd learn.
Don't mind the zone looking children. I started a new rule with regards to our movie watching. Movies can only be watched when we're sick, or (this is the addendum) when Daddy is on a business trip. Mike was gone for part of the week, so instead of being extremely labor intensive while he was gone, it was pretty relaxing.
Back to my room, I love it. My mom taught me over the phone how to do the wall texture. The plan was do do the whole room, but patience and time wouldn't allow it. 
The before, you ask?
Yeesh! That does not look good. The birth of this project all began when I was playing with the kids, I saw a little corner of wall paper peeling, and my busy little fingers wandered to picking at it. I remember standing there for a few minutes with these pieces of wall paper in my hand thinking "should I just glue them back on? what have I done?". But I'm glad. It was yuck. So thus the retexturing after wallpaper.
Awww, the classic Micah scowl with squinted eyes.
Anyway, below is the sign I made for the room. The wall's a bit busy to hang something busy, so my mom kindly gave me a little portion of her driftwood stash and I just painted on a quote from the hymn   Come Thou Fount.
Typically, I'm not a hymn listening girl, but lately, I have to say I am. The words in that hymn are so incredibly deep, it like you really have to sit there and think about it. Not only that, but Eden sings that song throughout her day. 
I'd be lying if I said that this wasn't a hard week. When I just downloaded my camera, there were ten pictures. That's about ten times less than a normal week. My mind has been busy lately but I know my heart is in the right place. For me as a mom, God is my strength. The fact that I have two beautiful kids who teach me everyday is just beyond any words. It's my goal to show them Christ, but usually it's the other way around.
The tender spirits and the simplicity of joy that they exemplify is so exhilarating. For example, Eden is still just enchanted with the story of the birth of Jesus, enchanted. She talks about it everyday, several times a day, tells Micah about it, and her babies too. It got me thinking: it is amazing. It's not just some Christmas story, but a miracle that does deserve to be gushed over and enamored with. And Micah, that boy has a spirit that cannot be bridled. I know at times it may be to his detriment, but he's wild and relentless and I so admire that. I can already tell that he'll do things with everything he has, and I want to be the same.
Time to get off my soap box. It's not yet 6:30 in the morning but I have slutty brownies in the oven that smell delish. 
Cheers (with my coffee cup) to the things our kids teach us.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Lindsay said...

I love it! I wanted to make that old board sign too, but now you'll think I'm copying you.