Social Icons

Be still

One of my hardest tasks as a mom is being still. Focusing, usually drains my energy and when it does happen it only lasts about half a minute. It's really hard for me.
Mike is the opposite. He rarely has more than one thought on his mind at a time. I've asked him for pointers, tips, training- if you will. He's told me that you just put all your being into that thought. I love the idea of that, but I can't.
Today though, I tried really hard. It felt amazing. Like free therapy.
*
I held Micah for over an hour after he fell asleep. I studied him. He doesn't smell like a baby anymore and he's all boy (minus the occasional bobbypin). He grunts more than he talks and he's so affectionate. Eden got her fingers slammed in a dresser drawer tonight. I ran to pick her up and Micah was right beside me reaching for her. When I put her down, he hugged and kissed her. It sounds sweet, but it was beautiful. Like you just saw a light bulb turn on in your kids' head beautiful.

I still heard Eden up when I was cleaning up dinner a half an hour ago. I thought about being focused, about being still. I layed down next to her and bawled. My baby. I always close my eyes until she closes hers and I felt her touching my face over and over, the gentlest of touches. Then she started twirling my hair ever so lightly. Her gentle fingers were finally still and I opened my eyes to see her struggling to keep hers open. When I tried to leave, she hugged my neck so tight.
Man, that's what I call perfect.
*
I don't enjoy cleaning up dinner and toys at nine at night, but I'd take tonight over any other and choose it over anything.
For sure.
Perfect.
Be still.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!