Social Icons

Love the mess

This picture was taken a while ago back when we were still in our condo. It's a mess, but it's typical. Laundry, toys, snack crumbs, spilling sippy, you name it, it's probably on the floor or stuck on the bottom of your foot.

Now bear with me here and keep that mess in your mind. Last night, I tucked the kids in bed. I don't know what it is about a sleeping child, but it's just the most beautiful thing and I love it. For some reason, when I see my kids sleeping, I just have these revelations. My mind goes through their birth, the sound of their laugh, hard moments, proud moments, first words, tiny tears, splashing baths, I think about it all. It happens in only a few minutes, but I just stand there frozen. I can't help myself to kiss them, tell them I love them and kiss them again. I love tender moments if you don't know that already.

Last night as I tucked the kids in, and thought all the thoughts I think when I do this, I had a bit of a turning point. I want to be like my kids in that every day is new, every day is fun. There are no "bad" days to them, only me. Once again they teach me, and I will strive to be like them.

Today I tried to ignore the mess, and I mostly did. I had a tea party with Eden during Micah's nap and I didn't even try to organize play food while I did it. We talked about our kinds of tea, I told her mine was minty and she said hers was "strawberry-banana-sun-sational-lemon-meringue". (Seriously, she said that.) The phone started ringing and I consciously made the effort and succeeded not to answer. We continued with our tea party, and played on.

When I had one-on-one time with Micah, we worked on words. He's so darling, and I love how he "talks". He's such a boy in his actions, and loves kisses. He's so extreme and I love that we just hung out. We didn't work around each other, but I was intentional in my time with him.

Today, I loved the mess. Tomorrow, I'm going to love it too. Despite the rice krispies stuck on the bottom of my foot, or the play food that is in every room of the house, I will love the mess.
And to think, all because of tucking them into bed last night.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!