Social Icons

I'm okay with it

Looking back, there were certain things that intimidated me in parenthood. One being the actual birth of my babies, then some "little" stages here and there, or having certain talks. The birth thing, I'm over it, natural is the way we go here and I love the miracle of it, and now I'm onto my next hurdle: pink and princesses.
I know that is a topic that is mildly shunned in certain circles while widely accepted in others, and for some odd reason, I thought that Eden would never go through it, at least I hoped.
Well, she's into it. She loves pink, and she adores princesses. She asks me all the time if I like princesses to which my reply is usually a thought out conversation and she's gone long before I finish my drawn out thought.
Yesterday she found a princess book in her bookcase. It's been put away for a long time, but change is good, so I brought it out. It was the Disney princess dress up book and she just realized that all these princesses have names. She wanted to learn them all, and I reluctantly taught her. She pointed to Cinderella and said "Who's this? Mozarella?" I enjoyed my belly laugh.
But I've been mulling all this over in my head. The pink, the princesses, the sparkly, shiny things, and I think I'm okay with it. I'm not gonna buy into it, but I want to encourage her girlyness.
When I do Eden's hair how she requests and she walks around like she's on top of this world, the confidence is just out of this world. By no means do I want to teach my daughter that looks are everything, or anything for that matter. But what if she's the only girl I have? Wouldn't I wish I embraced that part of her femininity?
I think I would, so I will. She's darling, pink and princesses, or messy three year old, I think I'll just embrace whatever stage she's in.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!