Social Icons

The Knox Blox Fiasco

Eden loves to go grocery shopping. I've learned that nearly every grocery store will give you something if you only ask. Pick 'N Save will give her a piece of cheese from the deli or a cookie from the bread counter; The Piggy Store (Eden's name for Piggly Wiggly) will give a knox blox from their deli and a token for the machines at the front of the store; Sentry will give a helium balloon and a piece of cheese. I personally could care less where we go, but to Eden it's a pretty big deal with all the choices of cheese, balloons, and prizes.
Yesterday we had a heat wave here in Wisconsin, a whopping forty five degrees, so the kids and I headed out for a walk.
We walked to the Piggy Store, and Eden talked for over a mile about what color knox blox she was going to have. So we got to the Piggy Store and promptly went to the deli counter where I was told that they don't give out knox blox to children. I told the lady that they did because my daughter got one every time we've been to the store. She stared at me with a puzzled look and told me to go to the other end of the deli and she could have a free cookie. I'm mildly embarrassed that I wouldn't take no for an answer, but lady, just give me a yellow knox blox and I'll leave.
Now don't get me wrong here, I know that life is full of disappointments, blah, blah, blah, we have to teach that to our children.
So we just stood there, and waited. Another deli worker was close by and staring the whole time. Apparently, she never heard such a debate over a knox blox. This kind evesdropper walked up the the lady I was debating with and said out of the corner of her mouth,"just give her a knox blox." So, Eden got a yellow blox, and we had a happy walk home. I'm not proud of myself for being fussy, but I am happy I was my daughter's advocate, a big deal in her little world.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!