Social Icons

Enjoy the ride

My mom sent me a card this morning
 and she had written
 "enjoy the ride, not the walk". 
It made me smile. 
Mentally resetting my mind
 every day is getting to be a habit, 
and I think with these little people around me,
 it helps to put things into perspective.

































Enjoying the ride,
 still not easy for me
 as I want to constantly delegate
 and stretch what little
independence
 I have right now.
 This too shall pass
 and I need to digest
 all of the quiet moments that I have.
 There are a lot of quiet moments,
 a lot of times,
 more than I would like.
 I love the noise of children,
 the harsh, repetitive bangs of toy,
 the clopping of Eden in kitten heels,
 and even the irritated yells of Eden or Micah
 as one is bothering the other.
 When I don't hear it,
 I miss it,
 and I long for those noises to fill my ears.

































Enjoying the ride
 has also meant letting go.
 Trusting my kids to learn
 to make decisions for themselves
 and to not interfere with every little move.
 Letting them be kids and having fun doing it,
 I guess is what I'm trying to describe.
 At times,
 I'm like a hovercraft over them,
 guiding them and in my perspective helping, but I'm not.
 It's funny how just sitting 
in a chair in the sun
 has made me admire
 Micah's chubby cheeks more
 or the way that his hair curls in the humidity.
 It's like I'm learning
 my children from a different perspective.
 From a distance,
 as in a calm (unable to meddle) mom,
 but so close that I see it all
 and can laugh and cry
 with them every step of the way.

 So again, today,
 I reset my mind
 and focus on enjoying the ride.
 It's calm right now
 and so easy when I think
 about the expectations that are upon me,
 they're nothing.
 This is beauty though,
 and I just need to wallow in it.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!