Social Icons

Something that stuck

Last week, I spent nearly the entire week at my parents house. Mike was gone with work, school, and a business trip, and it was wonderful. Truly. Wonderful.
We had a few nights of watching old home movies. Laughing at our clothes, we recounted the memories, and Eden loved living in the past for those few moments. I loved seeing our family, being silly, humoring ourselves, and having the time of our lives. I loved seeing my grandparents, and tears welled up in my eyes just hearing my grandmas voice. It made me miss her, and sad that I forgot to.
 We had a night where we played games. With the kids and on our own. With the kids, it's funny how rules just go out the door, and when we're adults we become sticklers about them with games. My mom has a little fisher price game called "adopt a dog". It's cute, and Eden and Micah love it.
 And every day, Eden and Micah would help Grandma in the kitchen. My mom loves to cook and bake, bless her. I wish I inherited that gene. Another daily is how Micah would wait for Grandpa to finish work so that he could go on the four wheeler. He loves that thing so much.
 In the bitter cold, my dad took Micah, every day. He would come in, so cold, but so excited that he got a ride. I think it was the highlight of his day, every day.
These pictures are all old, but I love 'em. I love my parents. A lot. We had one night where we didn't play games, or watch old movies, we just talked. My mom said something to me that stuck. Really stuck.

She told me how her and my dad weren't raised in Christian homes, so they had no idea how to do it themselves. She told me they gave it everything. Everything.
That's what stuck.
Thank you Mom and Dad. I am so so so thankful for how you raised me. It's a model I try to follow with my own kids. I love my childhood and adolescent memories. I hope that my kids will say the same when they're my age. But more importantly, I hope I can say that I gave it everything.
Thank you Mom, for telling me that.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!