Social Icons

A turn of events

Dear Eden,
To say that this week has been rough would be a huge understatement. I don't think ever, in my entire life, have I ever been so weary. You, my dear, have really put me to work this week.

Your awful sleep is getting me down. Waking up at even 5:20 in the morning to have a few minutes to myself and with Jesus isn't early enough. You're at my heels, wanted to have a conversation, play babies, and read books.

My 11:30 bedtime isn't cutting it either. You get up out of bed more times than I can count, and my tired body is so exhausted that I can't think straight. I pray with you, snuggle you, read to you, tell you stories, sing to you, but it's not doing the trick.

I fall asleep during the day because I'm so tired. So. Tired. And even then, you wake me up. When I was pregnant with you and with Micah, I wasn't even this tired. For some reason, you're afraid. Afraid of your room, the dark, being alone, or maybe it's a mixture of all of those things combined.

You now have three night lights in your room,have books with pictures torn out of them because I'm afraid they might scare you, and sleep with your door wide open.

Thursday night, my plan was to get out alone. I was so excited. With Mike busy with work and school, I can't remember the last time that I had alone time. I felt like I was counting down the hours all day.

We ate dinner as a family and I quickly prepared to leave. I had prepped you all day. Telling you that you'd get some extra time with Daddy, and that Mommy was going out alone. You sat at the table and begged me, begged me not to leave.

Sometimes you fake cry and sometimes you can be manipulative, but not that night. Your eyes were glassy with tears and you had this desperation about you that tugged at my heart like never before.
Your hands were speckled with food from dinner as you pulled at my arm, still begging me not to leave.

There was no way I could leave you. So, I took you with me. We shopped until 10pm. It wasn't always easy, but I think it was exactly what you needed. I can't count how many times you kissed me while we were out or how many times you said "mommy, you're the best".

I let you do things that I would normally never allow. I let you stomp through the aisles with women's high heeled shoes on, grab clothes off the racks and hold them up to you, and read books that we'd never buy. We studied the hello kitty merchandise, talked lipstick and heels, and I let you try out the toys that you dream of. We smacked our gum together, shared lip gloss, and talked the entire evening.

I bought you a Disney princess nightgown that goes against every grain in me. But you were so happy. I still haven't had any alone time, but since our girl's night two nights ago, you've slept through the night. Your bed time routine still needs a bit of work, and you're not getting anywhere near the sleep you need, but sleeping through the night is a wonderful step.
I think a little one on one time is just what you needed, and I love the memories we made that night. I can tell you did too as you've asked me several times since if we can do that every night.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Sandra Kohlmann said...

I'm glad you were able find/see a little happy during a rough time. I went shopping with my gals last Wednesday, in the middle of the day. We wandered around the mall and Target and bought nothing, but a snack in the mall food court. My little ones were so happy and content to be out with me. They were so worn out and mellow when we got home, that they took their first good nap since we took away their pacifiers a week prior. Sometimes little girls just need mama time.